Thursday, July 14, 2016

Philmont

The past few months have been pure craziness and I am so far behind on keeping record of it. But instead of backtracking, I'm going to pick up from right now.

We just got back from Philmont and Arizona. Philmont is a big scout ranch in New Mexico. Every summer they do 2 one-week LDS training sessions. It is for Stake Presidencies and Stake Young Men Presidents, so we were invited this year. Our Stake president and his family went with us. It was an amazing experience for us! I actually got to go to Philmont when I was a kid, so I kinda knew what to expect, but it was different as an adult.

It is super family friendly and the kids had a blast. They loved getting to sleep in tents and play in the dirt and rocks. And every day they have programs for each age group of kids for them to go to all day. So the boys were taken care of for most of the day while Tommy was in training and I got to do fun stuff with all the other women. They had such fun options for the women like hiking, horse back riding, white water rafting, COPE course, craft center, museum tours, dutch oven cooking, etc. My options were limited since I'm big and pregnant, but it was so relaxing and fun. And I loved getting to meet and know all the other amazing women!

This conference is put on by the General Young Men Presidency and Board and the General Primary Presidency. We got to meet them all and have good interactions with them. Seriously, the week was so spiritually uplifting. It felt like Youth Conference for adults. Tommy and I left so uplifted and determined to try even harder. We especially felt really strengthened as a family. It was so inspiring to be around all the other amazing families and see their good examples. We were definitely the youngest family there and we feel grateful for the opportunity we had to be around such great families and see their examples while still so young.


Sunday after church, Sister Bingham (counselor in General Primary presidency) found us at lunch and told us that Bradley was one of the loudest singers in primary. She just loved him and took a picture of him and emailed it to us.  
One of the nights was Western night, with a Primary parade, BBQ, and games and activities on the lawn. All the kids made costumes out of butcher paper for the parade. I helped Bradley make his penguin costume.  
Bradley helped Sister Cordon throw candy in the parade.
 
Tommy made a leather Philmont belt (a common keepsake there) at the craft center. He really enjoyed making it. 
Us with Sister Bingham, who loved Bradley.  
President Foister, President Owen (General YM president), and Tommy 
Bradley was one of 2 kids who did the requirements to receive a Junior Ranger badge. I wasn't sure how he would feel about getting called up in front of everyone during the closing ceremony. But when they called his name he literally jumped off our bench and ran up there. He was very proud. :) 
Each group did a song or skit at the closing ceremony. This was the youngest group, The Small Frys, where both of our boys were all week.  
It was surprising such a great week!!! We have talked a lot about it since. We really enjoyed all the family time we had and the boys had a blast with all the activities. And it was just so uplifting. Great week!