Friday, May 13, 2016

Europe Trip - Geneva

The last portion of our trip was in Geneva, Switzerland. Tommy has traveled to Geneva a LOT for work and he knows it well. He had work there the week after our trip so we built it in so I could come see where he spends so much time.

We arrived Sunday afternoon and walked around the city. We went to the Museum of the Reformation, St Pierre Cathedral, the underground archaeological site at the cathedral, and the Wall of the Bastions. All of it was very interesting. We paid to go up to the top of the cathedral and that was really cool. I wish I had counted how many stairs in the spiral staircase it took to get up there...but I was definitely dizzy at the top from it.
We had dinner that night at Lugia's and it was delicious. 

Tommy took Monday as a vacation day, but he did need to get caught up on email so that when he went into the office on Tuesday he wasn't too overwhelmed. There actually isn't a ton to do in Geneva itself and all of our plans to go to nearby cities fell through because lots of things are closed on Monday. I had told Tommy though that all I wanted on my last day was to sleep in and just relax. So we actually didn't end up doing much on Monday and it was the perfect way to end our trip!! 

After breakfast at the hotel we walked to the hotel pool to check it out and it was gorgeous!! And there was no one there, so we immediately went and changed and went swimming. Honestly, it was probably the most fun I've had swimming since I was a kid. It was such a relaxing environment, I wasn't worried about keeping my hair dry, I had no kids, and we had it to ourselves. We had so much fun playing games and swimming laps. Afterwards we went and laid on their amazing and comfy hammocks and dozed off for a while. Seriously...it was heavenly. 
Then I took a long time showering and getting ready while Tommy did some work. In the afternoon we went to the market and bought some lunch and pastries (and chocolate) to eat outside. My favorite pastry from Europe was this one. I requested it twice because I loved it. Tommy gets one often when he comes. Then we walked around the city some more and window shopped.
Then we went to the Hotel Edelweiss for dinner to have traditional Swiss fondue. They have live music each night and it was amazing! He even played the big huge alpine horn. I loved it. The dinner was delicious but also super heavy.
As we got up to leave the restaurant, a table of 3 older American couples asked us if we were on our honeymoon so we stopped to talk to them for a few minutes. They were so cute. They were 3 couples who met in college and have stayed friends and every year they take a big trip somewhere. One of the men said he knew we were Americans because I was wearing pearl earrings. I thought that was interesting and funny - and he was right. They made us happy. 

Tuesday morning I left to fly home to the boys and Tommy went to work until Friday. It was a long flight home and I was exhausted and sick...but I was happy to see the boys again. Caleb looked huge to me. 
It was all such a great trip! I can't say it enough. Everything was perfect. I'm so grateful my parents were willing to watch our boys and that we got to go!