Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Naomi

Naomi Joyce joined our family on September 23. She weighed 8lbs 11oz and was 21 inches long.

I had a dr appointment on Thursday morning and was dilated to a 4. The dr said it probably wouldn't be long and that I could get induced starting the next day (39 weeks) if I wanted to. We had actually hoped she would come the 23rd so we explored that option, but the induction schedule was full for Friday so we just didn't worry about it. I was positive for strep B this time so I needed to get the antibiotics during labor. The dr told me that if I had contractions for about an hour to come in so they could start that (especially since my labor was so fast with Caleb).

We went on a couple walks that evening and I was having contractions. At about 10:30pm they started getting more intense. We waited for a little bit and then decided to go in. When I was checked at the hospital I was at a 6, so I was admitted immediately. I got an epidural at 1:15 am. At 5:22 they broke my water and gave me the smallest dose of pitocin to help things along. At 8:29 I started pushing and at 8:42 she was born!
I think it was actually my favorite birth experience so far. It didn't drag out but wasn't crazy fast like Caleb's. My epidural was perfect because I could still move my legs, feel the contractions and pressure, and I could feel her come out, but I didn't feel all the pain. They also left her with me for nearly an hour before even weighing her and cleaning her up. They just immediately laid her on me for skin-to-skin and nursing and didn't take her until I was ready. We also had a great experience at the hospital (it's new, so I wasn't sure what to expect because I had heard mixed things). It was so peaceful and quiet, they gave us a "birthday cake" from a local bakery, a super nice "celebratory" dinner for me and Tommy, a gift (including things for the baby and a massage gift card for me), and they really did a good job giving us space. They came in for vitals, but not as often as I remembered in the past. It was great.

The boys have adjusted really well! We haven't really seen any changes in behavior from them and they just adore her. Bradley of course wants to touch and love on her all the time. Caleb loves to see her and talk to her and then ignores her. Every time she cries he says over and over, "Ok baby dider (sister)!" It's adorable.

My recovery has been fast and easy this time. My emotions have been pretty stable and the transition to 3 kids has been easier than I expected so far. She has been eating like a champ and sleeping well for a newborn. She is very calm and still when she's awake. We just adore this little girl and are so happy she has joined our family!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

She's a doll baby! I want to see her in person. She's so sweet!