Monday, August 18, 2014

Caleb

Caleb was born Monday after a very fast delivery!

After our episode in the hospital last Thursday, my contractions had pretty much completely stopped. I had the occasional one here and there, but nothing major and they didn't hurt at all. Sunday evening I had some contractions throughout the evening, but they were not big or painful and I thought nothing of them. As I was going to bed around 11 pm, I was starting to feel a little crampy...but again, nothing that made me think twice.

I woke up shortly after midnight to the worse cramps I have ever felt. I got up to go to the bathroom and went back to bed and they continued to get more painful very quickly. They were about 7 minutes apart, but very painful. I woke Tommy up after the 3rd one I had after coming back to bed and told him we probably needed to go to the hospital. He was totally out of it and suggested we wait about an hour to see if they increased (we didn't want a repeat of Thursday), but I could tell this was more. I can't really describe it, but I felt out of control. I was very panicky because it was the most pain I had felt and I think deep down I knew this was it. After seeing how much pain I was in, Tommy quickly got ready and we left for the hospital at 1:00 am.

Our hospital is 30 minutes away and it was a very painful drive. The contractions continued to get closer and were about 3-4 minutes apart. We arrived and got parked and then I had to walk in. It is a confusing hospital and we went in a door that you have to use stairs to go up one flight before getting to the elevator, so we couldn't even use a wheelchair. It took us probably close to 10 minutes to walk from the car to labor and delivery with my contractions.

They got us into triage pretty quickly and had me change into the gown. I had to have Tommy come in the bathroom to help me because I kept stopping for contractions. When the nurse checked me, she said I was dilated to a 5 or 6. One minute later, my water broke and the contractions continued to get stronger. I was not prepared for the pain since I was planning on getting an epidural and I was not breathing correctly. I was kind of hyperventilating and breathing very quickly. The nurses were really good at coaching me to slow my breathing and focus on something. I was laying on my side and focused really hard on two threads in the sheet. It really did help, but it was hard for me to slow my breathing and I was really grateful they coached me through the process so well. In that moment I knew for sure I would not have time for an epidural. I knew he was coming fast. I had that fear in the back of my mind the whole time, but it became real right then.

They got me checked in super fast. I had 3 nurses around me - one putting in my IV, one asking all the admittance questions (most of which Tommy had to answer because I couldn't talk), and one getting all the supplies ready. Within 5 minutes of my water breaking, I started to feel the urge to push. They wheeled the bed into the delivery room and practically picked me up and moved me to the delivery bed. My doctor had not arrived yet, so the resident checked me again and said it was time to push. She was just suiting up when my doctor walked in the door. The doctor on call that day was Dr. Wiebracht. I really like her. I hadn't had her for very many of my prenatal appointments (I go to a group of doctors), but she was the doctor who I worked with through my fertility treatments and I was glad she was there.

I pushed for 12 minutes and he was born at 2:22 am! That was probably the most relief I have ever felt in my life. And I loved that they laid him on me immediately. (With Bradley they took him away immediately to check him because he was technically 36 weeks and I didn't even see him for a few minutes.) Tommy got to cut the cord, which was something he didn't get to do with Bradley. It was so happy and surreal seeing this cute, dark-haired, pointy-chinned, purple baby on me. Tommy and I both commented on how different he looked from Bradley, with his skinny face, pointy chin, and black hair. He weighed 8 lbs 4 oz and was 21 1/4 in long.
I still can't believe I gave birth naturally! It was not something that was on my bucket list...but I am proud of myself. I felt so empowered afterwards. I'm sure it was a lot of joy, love, and relief mixed together. I was very chatty afterward and felt so much better! I had some pretty severe shivering and it took the nurse like 10 minutes to get an accurate blood pressure because I was shaking so much. It took 3 blankets to get me warm.
Recovery went really well. I had a lot of energy that morning. My mom and Bradley came to visit around 10:30 am. Bradley was very excited, but also quiet and apprehensive. We had a present for him from Caleb and he loved that. He got a couple of new cars, a book, and fruit snacks. That kept him pretty well entertained in the hospital room. Tommy also took him on a walk.
Bradley was very interested in all the baby's body parts. He compared them all to his by saying things like, "Baby brother has little toes. Bradley has big toes!"
We were discharged from the hospital on Tuesday around noon.
Bradley reading Caleb a book.
Caleb is a very sweet and calm baby. I have really enjoyed him so far and have loved having a baby to snuggle again. I adore his head of hair and can't get over his perfect little face. :) We love him!
Bradley is adjusting well. He has always been sweet with Caleb and always wants to know where he is. He has had a few emotional moments this week, but he is already having less of those. My mom has been so much help and I have loved having her here! Bradley has had a lot of fun with her and we will miss her.
Bradley wanting to be wrapped in a blanket like Caleb.
Bradley has never really used a pacifier and Caleb loves them...Bradley is suddenly very interested, so he has one that is "his" so he doesn't try to take Caleb's. He just chews on it. 
Anyways, it has been a great week. We have felt a lot of joy over the birth of Caleb. I still can't believe how fast he came! It is a surreal memory and Tommy and I have talked and laughed about it a lot. Once he decided to come, he didn't waste any time. We love him!

5 comments:

Beth said...

Oh my goodness! Caleb is so snuggly and squishy! I wish I could just walk over and hold him! Miss you!

John said...

Congratulations!!! He's so beautiful. That's a great birth story.

Jocelyn said...

He is so cute and I'm glad everything went well!!! I'm glad you found the natural birth empowering; I found it traumatic, lol! Caleb and Bradley are just adorable together, and I can't believe how little he looks in your mom's arms. Yaaay Caleb!

Jen said...

Wow!!!! That is a great story! Way to go to giving birth naturally! What a tough woman you are. Caleb is absolutely adorable and I'm so glad Bradley is enjoying him as much as you and Tommy are

rozanny said...

Congrats! I'm so glad that everything went well! And Happy Birthday to you and Bradley! (And Caleb of course). That happened with us too... three of our birthdays all grouped together.