Sunday, June 15, 2014

Around Our House - May 25-30

We've been gone, so I am behind on the blog. I will post over the next couple of days.

Memorial day weekend was so fun! Saturday night we were planning to go to a Memorial day display at a local museum but we forgot when it closed and got there too late. So instead we went to the park and let B play.

Normally B takes an early nap on Sunday mornings before church at 1, but on Sunday he never fell asleep. So we just got him up early and went back to the museum on our way to church. It was really neat. The traveling Tomb of the Unknown Soldier was there. They also had a flag for each Ohioan who has died in the war on terrorism as well as a display of boots of the soldiers. It was very neat and sobering to see.
Sunday night we were planning to camp in our backyard because the weather was so nice. We had firewood and camping food ready, but because B hadn't napped he was super grumpy and we decided it would be better for him to just get a normal night sleep in his own bed instead of fighting the tent sleeping. So we still did hot dogs and wuffums (a pastry dessert cooked over the fire and filled with pie filling and whipped cream - an alternative to smores) around the fire, but then just put B to bed in the house. It was worth it. Tommy and I enjoyed sitting outside for a while by the fire after he was asleep.
Monday morning we went to the West Chester Memorial Day parade. It goes right by our neighborhood. Bradley enjoyed seeing the horses, dogs, and firetrucks.
Right after it was over we went to Sharonwoods park for our ward's annual Memorial Day picnic. It was a lot of fun. As it was getting close to naptime, B kept saying "I wanna lay down in car" over and over. So we decided to just leave and get him home for nap. As soon as we got to the car he started saying, "I wanna stay!"....oh 2 year olds. So glad they don't rule the world.
The rest of the week I spent cleaning and getting ready for our trip to Delaware to see my parents. Tommy was in Nashville Wednesday and Thursday for work.

Friday morning was my last day of seminary (so weird!). We had the kids over for breakfast. Immediately after they left, we left for Delaware. I will put all of that trip in it's own blog post.

A couple of B things:
Bradley has really been enjoying chalk (both sidewalk chalk and his chalkboard). We've had a lot of fun with it. I have been really impressed with his alphabet skills. He's known all the letters and their sounds for a long time now so I decided to see if he could figure out how to spell. We did simple words like cat, dog, pig, mom, dad, etc, but he totally got it! I would say "dog. Dah dah dah, what letter says dah?" and he would say D and so on until we spelled the word. And then when I would ask what it spells he would repeat the word. And he recognized them later as the correct words. Super cool!

He has also learned left vs right. Tommy just taught him by naming them every time he put on his shoes and B just picked up on it. And he knows to apply it to other things like his hands or arms too. He is correct about 95% of the time.

No comments: