Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dates

About a month ago, I was feeling like we were in a rut. All we ever did in the evenings was watch movies or play a game while watching something. I was feeling tired of it. In the last year, we have had to adjust to not being able to go anywhere in the evenings after Bradley is asleep. It's been a little difficult, I think especially for me. Anyways, I was ready to try something new. So we sat down and came up with a years worth of dates and wrote them on popsicle sticks. Most of them are small things and all but about 5 can be done here at home after Bradley is asleep so we don't have to get a babysitter. We draw one every Sunday and then do it Friday (or another day if we can't on Friday). So far it has been a lot of fun and we are enjoying having other, more creative things to do together.

Our first one was play-dough. Since it was Tommy's first week of work, we decided to make P&G products.

Starting on the left the products are: Crest toothpaste, Oral B toothbrush, Herbal Essences shampoo &conditioner, Tide, Duracell battery, Gillette razor, Ivory soap, Vicks vapor rub, Pepto Bismol, and Charmin toilet paper. I think we did a pretty good job! Its pretty hard to do details with play dough.  
Tommy "shaving"
Me "brushing my teeth" with a floppy-handled toothbrush. 

Our second week was making a picture collage. We got some pictures printed and updated our collage board with pictures of Bradley and we bought 2 collage frames for pictures of each side of our families. We also bought some other frames we had been needing and then spent the evening hanging them all up in our house. It looks much more complete now and I love having pictures of our original families up on the walls.
We had blueberry pancakes one morning (unrelated)...but you can see part of our collage board behind him. 

Our third week we had a Greek night (this one actually wasn't a drawn one. We knew My Big Fat Greek Wedding was coming for our Netflix movie that Saturday and decided to make it more fun). We had Pita sandwiches with a gyro dressing, hummus and pita chips, and sparkling pear juice (instead of wine). It was really fun.

The one we drew the week of our Greek night was to do a puzzle together. So we decided to do it Sunday evening instead. Well, it turns out Tommy doesn't really enjoy puzzles much. He gave it a try and was a good sport but I could tell he wasn't enjoying it. So we agreed that I would do the puzzle and he would read his book in the same room. ha not a great date, but we both enjoyed ourselves quite well.

So far, it has been a lot of fun. It gives me something to look forward to and plan each week. yay!

4 comments:

Julie said...

So fun! We were in the same date rut. I've been more creative, but I like the jar....have to get on that one.

Glenene said...

Love the playdough art!

Jocelyn said...

These look so fun! This inspires me. We've definitely gotten into that "watch a movie and play some games" rut too.

Alarie said...

Tyson is only 6 weeks old and I'm tired of watching TV to be together... you should keep sharing date ideas!