Friday, October 9, 2009

A Nobel Peace Prize? Really?!!!

Alright. Sometimes I can just let bad news disperse over time, but the news this morning that United States President Barack Obama won the Nobel Peace prize this year simply made me livid. Not that he's not a great man, or inspirational leader, or anything like that. But the Nobel Peace prize is supposed to recognize accomplishment in furthering World Peace, not just a fancy allusion to such. Barack Obama's "Yes We Can" has obviously captured the world, but until it becomes a "Yes We Did" a Nobel Peace Prize is completely inappropriate, premature, and totally uncalled for. He might be able to do it - I doubt it, but he might. If he does, in that day, maybe, he should be considered.

Furthermore - in order to make the nomination deadline for this years award someone must have nominated him within the first 2 weeks of his Presidency. This is straight up Liberal hodgpodge and I think its pejorative to the Nobel institution, demeaning to the American people, and an outright mockery of peace. I honestly think the Nobel council hated George Bush and are trying to make one last slam on him. The world ought to revolt!!! All we've seen yet of Barack Obama are empty words and hollow promises. I mean really, is he on the same level as Martin Luther King Jr., Albert Schweitzer, and Theodore Roosevelt?! I didn't think so.

Mr. President - you know as well as any you don't deserve this award - moral and ethical duty calls you to respectfully decline this politically fueled propaganda!

Phew - my day can go on.

4 comments:

Tommy and Jill said...

“To be honest,” the president said “I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who have been honored by this prize, men and women who’ve inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.”

Alarie said...

nice use of the word "pejorative" re our discussion yesterday.

collegegirl19 said...

Um I agree with you 100%! We haven't seen Obama do a whole lot have we(: I just read a book for my politics class that you should maybe take a look at if you haven't already. Its called "Barack Obama and the Future of American Politics" by Paul Street. It's very interesting-discusses not just Obama and his so-called "goodness" but the truth behind politics and such. Anyway-ridiculous things will continue to happen but we just keep going and deal with it! Take care!

Becky Montoya Wright said...

Getting paid before you do the work is not a good position to be in. It does not make for good leadership, if every time he makes a decision, he has to consider the fact that he has already received the ultimate recognition for peace. I would refuse the award to be free from such obligation.

Oh... & when I read the headlines, I knew you'd be steaming :)