Monday, September 28, 2009

We Didn't Start the Fire

We had an interesting thing happen at church yesterday. We had two baby blessings and at the end of the second one, a man walked up to the front and started talking to our bishopric member who was conducting. The counselor then got up to the pulpit and said, "There seems to be a small emergency in the building. There is a smell of smoke that is getting stronger and the Stake has asked us to cancel the rest of our meetings and evacuate as quickly as possible". It was kinda funny to see how people responded. Everyone was kinda confused and saying things like, "we really just go home?" and "are they serious?" and "what do we do with the rest of the day?". Then you had the people who were supposed to give talks or lessons (or play the piano...like me) who were so stinking relieved. Tommy, who had been asked to help pass the sacrament, immediately came up to me and said, "Did you pray for this to happen??". He couldn't believe that I was actually getting out of having to play. I was just so happy!
We never did find out what happened. Tommy had to help clear the building and he said it didn't seem to be anything obvious, so we think it may have been something electrical. Anyways, it was actually quite nice to all of a sudden have an extra 3 hours of the day. We were loving the fact that church was only 20 mins and Tommy jokingly said that it makes him consider converting to a Protestant church.

So for our extra time we decided to take a drive up the canyon since it was such a beautiful day. We went to Bridal Veil Falls and then up to Squaw Peak. The fall colors haven't started changing down here, but they are beautiful up in the mountains.
Warning: for anyone who loves mountains and doesn't live near them (Mom), these pictures might make you really jealous.

view of Provo

I love this one. The colors were amazing.

It turned out to be a great Sunday! And it was definitely a nice way to get out of playing the piano...at least for this week. I better not count on an emergency every week though. :)

8 comments:

Casey said...

Man! We have got to fit a drive up the canyon into our schedule- It looks beautiful!!! And so do you miss Jill- So photogenic :)

Heather Nicole said...

Jill! so i have this roommate who is married, but her husband lives back in Japan with her son. why do you care? well maybe you dont but after reading this post i realized she is in your ward... which means you must live by me. im kind of excited by this :)
and, those pictures are gorgeous! i love it here

Becky Montoya Wright said...

Love the pics. Congrats on getting out of playing piano. My most challenging calling so far was ward chorister. I know very few people look, but the ones that do, actually expect you to know what you're doing. I bought all the hymns on CD; circled all the down-beats in my hymnbook; and would meet the organist once a week in the chapel to practice. Glad I did it, but was thrilled to move on to the next calling. Good luck!

Glenene said...

Totally jealous of your trip up the canyon! We might actually get a cool front tomorrow....

ltandjbcox said...

Gorgeous Fall colors. . . . .what a nice way to spend the day. Back in the day, Great Grandpa and Grandma Cox would take the 8 boys up to the mountains after Sunday School for a picnic. They would enjoy that and perhaps catch a nap, then head back down to get ready for Sacrament Meeting at 7:30. Leigh loves those memories.

Beth said...

I love the fall color!!! :)

Liz Robertson said...

how the heck do all of your self-portraits look so perfect?!? you should use them on an engagement announcement...oh wait...you're right, that Bridal Veil Falls pic did make me jealous--we had a "cold front" move into Florida, which dropped the high temp from 92 to 88. Still sweatin'.

and i'm sorry playing piano is so upsetting! I'm sure you will do great.

Lexi said...

Hi Jill and Tommy!
So, I took your love of blogging seriously, Jill, and I started one of my own. Haha, I know.. anyway, it's not much right now, but I promise it'll get juicy :]
lexlisteve.blogspot.com
Miss you and love you!
-Lexi