After 2 months in our ward, we finally received callings yesterday. We were excited when we got the phone call on Saturday from a member of the bishopric wanting to meet with us.
Tommy has been called as the Scout Committee Chair. He is super excited. He loves Scouts and loves delegating so it's perfect. The bishop has asked him to be as involved as he can instead of just sitting back and planning. So he will get to go on camp outs and activities. He is taking this to mean go with the young men on Sundays as well, so he doesn't have to sit through Elder's Quorum. He will do such a great job and is ready to get to work.
I have been called as the Relief Society pianist. YIKES! I think I was using every method I know not to burst into tears when they asked me. Explanation: I play the piano....barely. I am the youngest of 6 kids whose mom taught us...doesn't that explain? She got tired with me and didn't push piano as much. To be honest, I was always very happy about that as a kid. I played the piano all my years in Young Womens, but I played the same 15 songs. No one else could play, so it didn't matter if I wasn't very good. I haven't really played much at all in the last 3 years. I was really shocked they even asked me because I don't even claim to know how to play here in Utah where everyone plays. I know I will be fine. I can rely on my 15 and then work on learning others. My problem is that is scares me to death. I hate performing and it just really makes me nervous. After fighting back tears for half of sacrament meeting and talking to the RS president, I have come to terms with it a little better. I am kinda excited for the opportunity to improve. My mom is really happy about it and laughed really hard when I told her. It will be good, I know it. Overall, I am excited it for it (I might not say that right before RS every week) and am glad that I will have the chance to get better. I just have to control my nerves.
This weekend we had the chance to go up to a cabin at Brighton for an officer retreat for the non-profit organization Tommy is a part of. We had a good, relaxing time and got to go on a couple of hikes.
We also went to the BYU game. It was actually really sad since we lost pathetically to Florida St. BUT we still love our cougars and managed to still enjoy it. Tommy's voice is gone and he is sqeaking a lot.
3 comments:
It will be OK Jill. I was laughing "with delight". Playing can be fun.... I promise you'll get there if you keep plugging away!!
aww Jill! i will say a prayer for you Sunday morning, although i am sure you ill be fantastic! also, i miss you bunches and would love to see you
You know Heidi was in a similar situation a few years back when she was called to the exact same position. I feel her determination to honor that calling has been a blessing in her life. She is now much more confident. . ."I will go and do the things. . . . . . . ." is true. . .YOU will be blessed.
Post a Comment