Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tents, Temples, Travels

This is my (Jill) first post! I figure I am entitled to share some of the "married Montoya memories" since I am indeed part of them.

Married life has been great! We've been pretty busy with all our travels, but have thoroughly enjoyed them all. We've been to Park City on our honeymoon, Pinetop and Houston for our receptions, and a quick visit to Logan. We've still managed to get all settled in together and have some fun adventures.

We had a camping themed Family Home Evening, where we set up our tent in our living room, wore our "camping clothes", watched Peter Pan from in the tent, and roasted marshmallows over our stove.

Another night, Tommy decided we were going to have a pirate night. We ate fish and chips (fish sticks and french fries), wore our pirate and captain hats, played with our new Dread Pirate game we got for our wedding (such a cool game!), and watched Pirates of the Caribbean. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures that night.

We had a great time in Pinetop playing with the kids and spending time with family. I especially enjoyed getting to see where Tommy grew up, meet more of his family, and the hundreds of people who adore him. I love his family and am glad to have married into such a great one! I feel like they're just an extension of mine. We also had fun in Houston, although Tommy now understands why my mom hates Houston weather in August. He made an official decision that we will never live there because of the humidity. We ate a TON of food in Texas. There were just too many goodies around. I was a bad picture taker and didn't take any pictures in Pinetop or Houston except at the temple. Tommy and I have decided to take a picture at every new temple we go to. For the short time we've been endowed, we have actually managed to make it to 5 different temples.

Snowflake, AZ temple

Houston, TX temple

Since we haven't been at home enough lately, we decided to make another trip this past weekend to Logan. My grandparents have a good sized garden with several different types of vegetables. It is corn season and I LOVE fresh corn on the cob. Grandma invited us up to come eat some corn with them and take some home and we simply couldn't resist. We just took a short one-night trip up and had a great time with them. It rained Saturday morning, but luckily Tommy and I can entertain ourselves with Battleship and Go Fish for quite a long time. We went to the Logan temple that afternoon.

Once we got back it was dry enough to pick the corn!! :)


Tommy couldn't wait until dinner to eat the corn.

Grandpa also dug up a bunch of red potatoes for us to take home. We were so excited and enjoyed getting garden lessons from Grandpa.
After a wonderful dinner of garden foods, we got Aggie ice cream at Utah State Univeristy (a tradition that everytime grandkids come, they take us...so good!) Then Grandma and Grandpa played Bocce Ball (or lawn bowling) with us! They beat us both times, which says alot for two 80 year olds...or says a lot about us (maybe we should practice). We had a great time!

So now after all of that we are enjoying a few weeks of nothing until school starts and life really gets crazy. :)

8 comments:

Beth said...

I love your temple tradition! So cute! You two have so much fun together!
:)

The Gwynns said...

what fun family home evening ideas! You guys are too cute! Can't wait to see you guys! What are your plans for the holidays? Love ya!

Glenene said...

Fun times! Love you!

Nisha said...

You completely blow me away. God knows what He's doing. Your life is perfect for you! And your way with words makes me envious!

Liz Robertson said...

love the blog, jill & tommy. dave and I also want to start trying different temples. dang you 2 are so cute! we celebrate our 9th anniversary today, and seeing you 2 lovebirds has totally sweetened me up!

Nisha said...

Ah, and thank you so much for the sweet comments Jillybean! Things did work out after I got sleep! Do you have a regular email address I can use? Orrr...just put up a new post so I can comment on it! :-]
LOVEYOU!
Have a fantabulous life!

Becky Montoya Wright said...

Love It!! Especially the photos at each temple. That's a cool tradition. I am glad you guys are getting in lots of temple time--and a little jealous, but think of me when you are there. Your grandparents are awesome & so is there garden. Big time score on the fresh veggies. And your themed fhe's are cracking me up, but not surprising me at all. My little ones would love to do something like that (they'll have to go visit you guys).

Team Seguritan said...

love reading about all the happenings. I hope my parent's corn is edible this weekend as we are all going up. I think you should come...except that I've already asked Becky if we could stay upstairs, but we COULD stay in a tent :)