Wednesday, June 9, 2010

How to Survive Scout Camp* (from the wife's perspective)

*may be applied to anytime your husband is gone

1. Cry
It's okay to just let it out and even though you feel miserable while doing it, it always makes things better afterwards...especially if followed by a piece of chocolate.

2. Watch the long Pride and Prejudice
This is seriously the BEST thing in the world. Helped me sooo much and gave me something to smile and giggle about.

3. Allow yourself to eat your favorite bedtime snack
mmm chips and salsa

4. When you haven't talked to anyone else for extended periods of time, don't feel weird about talking to yourself
No, I am not crazy. I am just the type of person who needs to talk a certain amount of time everyday and without a husband around, it is just not met.

5. Facebook stalk your husband
I am really good at this. Makes the time at work pass as well.

6. Make sure you give yourself extra time in the mornings to take care of the things your husband normally does
This was a little bit of a struggle since Tommy makes our lunches, breakfast, and the bed. Thank goodness for leftover Pop Tarts from our last road trip that I could grab to take to work. But getting out of bed was much easier since I didn't have anyone to cuddle with, so I was successful.

7. Talk on the phone with your high school best friend

And remember how much you love her.

8. Go to Cafe Rio with a friend
And make sure you laugh a lot.

9. Talk to your mom...she understands
She's pretty used to her husband having to leave for various things and she's good at it. She might think you're a little silly for how much you're struggling, but she won't tell you that.

10. Stop worrying!
If you haven't heard from him in a while, most likely he has NOT gotten eaten by a bear, fallen off a cliff, or gotten in a car accident. MORE likely, his phone is almost dead, he's busy, or out of service.

11. Give yourself things to look forward to
Today I am looking forward to being done with work and going to my sister's to play with her and her kids until he gets home tomorrow!

12. Remember how much you love and adore your husband.
And be prepared to see him with lots of facial hair after a week of not shaving
(and more than just a mustache)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dont think I have ever commented on your blog. Anyways my husband and I went to school with Tommy. I love the talking to yourself one. Its even better when you have kids to talk to and you dont feel so awkward!

Bryce, Anna, Porter, Avery and Colette said...

you are too cute... its tough when they leave... just wait till you have 2 kids missing him too (Bryce was gone for 4 days with the YM to san diego-my hometown) and even after 5 years I struggled and its hard to go to sleep at night being the only adult in the house. But absence (sp?) does make the heart grow fonder... everytime he's gone I realize how lost I would be without him (even if the house stayed cleaner)

Glenene said...

I do not think you are silly!

Love the post -- blogging could be #13!!

Sarah Lynn said...

AWW!!! I love you!!! I'm so glad I got to talk to you! This is such good advice! :)

Team Seguritan said...

Just read through your past few blogs. LOVED the video of your Mexican Hat dance... and I echo your brother..."wow"
Totally LOVE disneyland! We just got back and had a blast.
And can't believe Tommy makes you breakfast in bed :)

Team Seguritan said...

Just read through your past few blogs. LOVED the video of your Mexican Hat dance... and I echo your brother..."wow"
Totally LOVE disneyland! We just got back and had a blast.
And can't believe Tommy makes you breakfast in bed :)

Becca said...

How did I miss this fantastic post? I don't know but I'm glad I found it.

James went to scout camp when Grace was like 5 months old. I hated it. I was a piss-ant the entire week. I def. could have used this list. :o) I will remember it next time James has to leave.

McCain Family said...

I miss you so much! I got to experience what it was like to have a little sister when Brandon was at basic training and I miss it. I love reading up on what y'all are doing and "keeping in touch" that way. Is there any way y'all could come to Houston at the end of July? We will be there for a couple of days. If not, then y'all will just have to come out to Hawaii!