Thursday, May 6, 2010

Oh What Do You Do In The Summertime?

Since our return from our awesome vacation we have settled into our summer routine which consists of:

Mostly working.

We work from 8:30 to 4:30 most days and get to each lunch together.
Tommy has been having fun planning for the leadership conference they put on at the end of the summer and the added responsibilities he has since this is his senior internship.
I enjoy the paperwork and parts runs I do (when I have them). The rest of the time consists of reading books, finding new blogs to read, chatting with co-workers, eating snacks, and checking facebook and email about 20 times a day (it's pretty pathetic when I get excited to see new status updates).

To cure some of my boredom we have discovered the Provo City public library and its treasures.

I've always liked libraries, but I only ever get novels. My mom suggested I look in the nonfiction and learn something new every week. So the other night, Tommy and I wondered upstairs to the nonfiction section and I was shocked and excited to see how much they have! They have books on everything. I was impressed and started by getting some art books. I'm excited to see what else I can find.

We have also set up some summer goals for us and if we do them for the week then we get to go out to eat for lunch one day the next week (like Taco Bell, Subway, or J-Dawgs). It may not sound like much but it's a pretty exciting break from the sandwhiches we eat the rest of the week.

One of our goals has been to run 3 times a week and we've done it! I'm pretty proud of us because we aren't super althetic and we have tried to start running a few times since we got married and we only ever go about twice before it just gets pushed aside. We even went one night at 10:30 after a really long day when it was raining and his little sister was staying with us. So I think we're a little more dedicated this time (probably because I was dreaming of the wonderful J-Dawg I will get to eat today while we ran).

Our favorite things to do in the evenings have been:

It's fun to not have homework. :)

We have also had lots of family time because Tommy's cousin got baptized so his grandparents and little sister, Joslin, came up from AZ. Joslin stayed with us and we had lots of fun with her and we got to see a lot of family at Troy and Heidi's house.

I also plan on seeing Julie and her kids as much as possible this summer because I've been pretty obsessed with them lately. They are just so fun!

We are excited for summer and when it gets a little warmer we have lots of plans to swim, hike, camp, family reunion, go to Seven Peaks water park, take a river recreation class, play outside, etc.

So what do you do in the summertime when all the world is green?

6 comments:

Lissa said...

My girls and I will be hitting the pool pretty much daily. Good thing it's in my backyard! I'm also trying to get us to VA to see my mom this summer. Other than that, it's too darn hot here in Az for anything outdoors. =(

Becca said...

YAY! so fun to play.

confession: I do not know what J-dawgs is. Is it a BYU thing, because I grew up in Provo and have heard of it, but that's about it. And I did not go to BYU. so maybe that's why I don't know of it?

confession #2: I also check blogs/e-mail/facebook about well...not 20, but at least 10 times a day. :o) my computer is in my kitchen, where I pretty much live, so why wouldn't I? haha.

sumer is fantastic. I love eating lunch outside on the lawn pretty much everyday and just letting my kiddos be outside as much as they please.

Glenene said...

I will probably spend a lot of time INSIDE, escaping the humidity! Evenings are mostly good outside -- the breeze is blowing, the front porch swing is in the shade, and Callie is happy to have company outside!

Julie said...

I love to go to the pool, chalking on the driveway, bubbles outside, hanging out on the back patio, gong to the park, and LOTS of evening walks. My most favorite part of the summer will be seeing YOU as much as possible, because I LOVE YOU!!!

ltandjbcox said...

I usually spend a little time feeling guilty that I'm not tending to my garden as well as I should, on account of travel plans. . .you know how it gets when you're older. . . flitting around from here to there. . .I love standing in my driveway on a moonless night and gazing up at the wonderful night sky. . not limited to the summer but enjoyed more frequently because it doesn't involve frozen body parts.

We will see YOU guys in July and in Aug . . . .poor poor garden:(

Becky Montoya Wright said...

Sit on my swing in the sunshine until I'm too hot & then lay down on it & fall asleep. AND hike & walk all that I can before the trails freeze over.